Sunday, October 11, 2015

DIY Fall Wreath

Who doesn't love Fall? It's cool enough to wear a cute sweater or scarf but not cold enough to be miserable and have to scrape ice off of your car at six am.

I love having things to hang on my door, whether it's a wreath or a decorative door hanger, if there's nothing on my door, I'm not satisfied. So with the change in season, I get the joy of changing my door decor. Usually I make these things on my own, since I love getting compliments and would rather tell someone I did it myself. 

So today, being that it's Sunday and I am actually caught up on laundry and cleaning, my day went to making my fall wreath and I ended up with this :



I love having my initial on things so I try and incorporate it into anything I do in my house. (I have a gallery wall that has an O in various things.) 

I am in love with the finished project and its was pretty cheap to make. Supplies and everything costed me about $35 in all, since I already had the hot glue and scissors. 



Excluding the hot glue and scissors, this is everything I used, the wreath was about $6, the flowers were actually on a fall sale, but regular price was $4 each, so I would catch these on sale if at all possible because I have yet to find craft store flowers that are reasonably priced. Maybe because I'm a bargain girl.

                                                   

                                                   


The twine was about $3 and I would actually get two things of twine because I used it to wrap the letter and it ran a little thin for my taste, plus you need some to tie the burlap ribbon together. So I would go ahead and grab two, plus its good to have on hand to use for other crafts. The burlap ribbon was about $5  and I got this chevron print because I wanted to mix it up, and since I ended up putting the ribbon on the initial, it worked out. However if you want to put the ribbon else where on the wreath, feel free to go for the plain burlap ribbon :).


So I started with wrapping the letter (which was only $2) because it WAS the most time consuming, I have an easy last initial, so I'm sure with a W or a K it could take more time, but nothing too complicated, just a little tedious :) You do have to do it in sections, because of the curve of letters, if your last name starts with an I or a T, you of course wouldn't have to because of straight lines. Anyway, as I have an O, mine took a few sections, and there was still some overlap in the finished project, but I still think it turned out pretty good. Here is the process in pictures: 




Use a dab of hot glue to secure the twine on the back of the letter. No need to use a lot, but when you do use it, make sure it dries well so that it stays secure while you're wrapping the sections. I had to experiment with how tight I wrapped the twine, too tight and it looks thin and the hot glue doesn't hold as well.

And the finished Letter (see how the curve parts overlap, but since you may put a bow on it, that won't be as noticeable!)


Now for the flowers, most craft flowers I noticed you don't have to cut the flowers and leaves off of the stem. They pop off very easily. So I started with taking off all of the flowers and leaves from the stem, although I didn't end up using the larger leaves from the beige flowers, but feel free to do your own thing. 

So once I took everything off of the stem i arranged them on the wreath, without the leaves. Because the leaves are more like small details, once everything is done, you'll use them as space fillers. 



Sorry some of these pictures are sideways, they keep flipping once they're uploaded. 


Once the flowers are arranged, use the hot glue and stick them on, I try and make sure the stubs under the flowers land between the vines on the wreath, they tend to stick better. 

Once the flowers are on you get to decide how you want to put on the ribbon and letter. I decided to go with the ribbon on the actual letter, because I hadn't done it that way, and decided to try something new, but it looks just as cute when the ribbon at the top and the initial in the bottom corner of the wreath.  

The ribbon for this wreath isn't anything fancy, simply because my fancy burlap ribbon hasn't been perfected to the point that I am comfortable putting it on my door. The ribbon is just tied on to the letter, so there was really no need to glue it down, but feel free. 


Glue the leaves the same way you we did the flowers, a little bit of hot glue and wedge them between the vines slightly under the flowers. 

To glue the initial onto the wreath I put almost two mini sticks of glue onto the letter, my letter was a little heavy, and I didn't want to risk it falling. So I put tons of glue and just pressed it down and crossed my fingers, and once everything is secure you're pretty much done!



Once the wreath is on the door it's easier to fluff the flowers and bow, because it won't be moving around anymore (for the most part). You could also hang the wreath with a thick ribbon or more burlap, just secure it to the inside of the door with an upside down Command hook. Thanks for reading! Happy Decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment